He seems much happier and a different boy to the one at the beginning of the year. There's been no violence at all and it feels like we're getting back to normal again."
Parent, June 2016
I'm so happy with what you do at Cressey. I used to get 10 calls a day about her behaviour. Now I only get one, at the end of the day, and it's mostly positive!"
Parent, June 2016
Praise, tough love & boundaries. Within our nurturing approach we work very hard to help students understand and experience the pleasure of positive relationships.
The school uses positive management of behaviour, and a rewards system, to promote positive outcomes and behaviour. This is enhanced by clear boundaries and structure, to create emotional stability and physical safety.
Students are awarded points in each lesson for effort, attendance and behaviour. Certificates and praise are given in recognition of effort, and good work is recognised and displayed and a Commendation Certificate is awarded for an outstanding day. Each week a student is awarded “Student of the Week”.
Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development
- We assist the acquisition of personal communication skills, and the development of interpersonal skills; and we encourage positive behaviour.
- We enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence, and positive attitudes towards independence.
- We enable students to distinguish right from wrong and respect the law.
- We give students opportunities to make real choices and decisions, and we encourage them to accept responsibility for their behaviour, and to show initiative.
- We assist students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- We give students experience of the community, we help them to understand how they can contribute to community life, and the skills they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
Student Support Plan - updated format
We've just updated the format of our Student Support Plans, which will be of interest to Parents and Carers. The template for the new format is at this link. If you have any questions about the format, then please do discuss this with your child's staff team.
"Leaders have invested in training, enabling staff to defuse and de-escalate potential outbursts. This, together with a personalised learning pathway, ensures that for most of the time pupils behave appropriately. Increasingly, pupils are able to empathise with and respect others, and begin to regulate their own behaviour."
OFSTED report, March 2018
I can't believe the progress she has made since she left my school. Before, she needed lots of restraint and was so violent. Now she's learning completely normally, and no longer needs restraining at all."
Headteacher of a Local School, 2016
"Before she came to Cressey she was violent every day and needed 3 staff with her at all times. Now she has no behavioural difficulties at all, and is returning to Mainstream. This is by far the most successful placement she's ever had."
A London Local Authority, June 2015
"He's been at Specialist Schools all his life, and this one has been by far the best."
Parent, June 2014
"He has progressed more in 10 weeks at Cressey than in the whole of his time at other SEN schools.
His behaviour and manner have been transformed ... for the first time he now even wants to learn.
He used to have many violent and uncontrollable outbursts at home ... these have substantially reduced, and he now tries to control it."
Parent, March 2013